Sold out Saturday 6 March 2021 10:30am – 2:30pm
New session added Saturday 13th March 10:30am – 2:30pm
Immerse yourself in the world of block printing with Lottie Emma.
Join Lottie in this no experience necessary workshop, as she shares inspiration, encouragement as well as everything you’ll need to know to start block printing.
The workshop will begin with a drawing session to come up with a design to carve into your block. Lottie is a firm believer that everyone can draw and that simple mark making is a wonderful way to achieve amazing effects in printing.
The session will include design tips with a focus on how to work with positive and negative spaces in a relief print. Participants will be able to experiment carving lino, vinyl and wood which all have different carving feels and printing effects.
The second half of the workshop will be filled with experimenting with different effects that can be achieved when printing on paper and fabric (plus learn tricks about how to get the best results printing on fabric at home).
After playing and experimenting (and when confidence is flourishing with all these newly learnt skills), participants will print their own hand dyed cotton shopping bag to have a functional piece of artwork for shopping adventures. Lastly, participants will learn how to fix inks so they are wash friendly.
All tools will be provided but if you have a set of carving tools you prefer to use you’re most welcome to bring them.
No artistic experience is necessary in this fun workshop, it is workshop full of experimentation, perfect for someone who is arty and already has experience or someone who doesn’t and wants a creative outlet.
Lottie tells us that ‘block printing is one of the simplest forms of relief printing and is so easy to continue at home which is why I love it’.
– An A4 art journal covered with hand dyed fabric adorned with a Lottie Emma original block printed artwork to work in during the workshop and test print in.
– Various blocks in vinyl, lino and wood to experiment with carving in different materials with your own design.
– Hand dyed fabric in different shades of light and dark to experiment with positive and negative printing of your new artwork.
– Hand dyed cotton shopping bag to print your new design on to make your next market shop lots of fun or to give as a special gift.
– Tips and tricks from Lottie’s 15 years experience of experimenting with hand block printing in a wonderful environment full of all the good things
– Ongoing access to morning + afternoon tea provisions.
This workshop will take place in Building 21 (the former market building) at Fabrik, amidst the loveliness of India Flint’s Quiet Conversations exhibition. Please look out for directional signage on the day.
All skill levels are welcome in this workshop, suitable for ages 16 years and over.
Participants will need to make their own lunch arrangements on the day; a 30 minute break is scheduled.
Image courtesy Lottie Emma.
For any enquiries, please contact email@example.com.